In Indonesia, beras kencur is one of popular jamu (a traditional herbal medicine). Its name derived from the ingredients, namely rice (beras) and aromatic ginger (kencur). It is usually sold as herbal drink by hawkers—mostly women—that walk from place to place carrying a basket full of different kinds of herbal drinks on their backs. Each herbal drink has a different medicinal benefit. As to beras kencur, it is said to be useful to reduce body ache, stiffness and pain on the joints or muscles.
- 1½ glass water
- 60g rice (Oryza sativa)
- 15g the rhizome of aromatic galangal (Kaempferia galanga)
- 4g the rhizome of ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- 5cm the rhizome of turmeric (Curcuma domestica)
- 5g the fruit of tamarind (Tamarindus indica)
- 5 dried flower buds of clove (Syzygium aromaticum)
- 15g palm sugar
- Salt to taste
- Pan roast the rice until the fragrant aroma come out.
- Slice all rhizomes.
- Put all ingredients except sugar and salt in a saucepan. It is better to use a saucepan made of clay. Bring to boil.
- Fifteen minutes later or when the liquid is reduced to one glass, add the sugar and salt. Sitr well until they dissolve.
- Strain while the liquid and drink while it is still warm. Some people prefer to serve it cold though.
Share and Enjoy
Category: Body Treatment